Sunday, March 29, 2009

Virtual hosts & Wordpress

Today I've been tinkering around with the web site hosting I provide from my Mac Mini. I added a a couple of VirtualHost directives to my Apache configuration - one to handle my 'normal' site and another to handle my WordPress installation. I now also have two DNS domains (provided by dyndns.com) that route visitors to these two sites. I set the WordPress one up for my wife to use to log her experiences and thoughts as she trains to be a careers counsellor.

I also re-configured the way I back up important data on my Mac. Basically, the data consists of my wife and I's personal documents, our iTunes music collection, our iPhoto albums and our videos (of our wedding, for example). The OS is OS X Tiger and I up until now I had been using SilverKeeper from Lacie. I noticed today however, that it wasn't backing everything up anymore - some of the rules I set up seemed to have disappeared. This alarmed me somewhat so I decided to got hunting for some alternative freeware. What I found was backuplist+. It is basically a GUI for the rsync command-line tool. I'm still in the proces of setting it up but it looks promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment